So. I thought about re-reading the books in what is known as the Deep Space 9 Relaunch, because that was my favorite Trek show and also those books were excellent, but then I thought that maybe I should try a series I'd never read. After dithering a bit, I decided on Star Trek:Vanguard. So I bought the first book, Harbinger (by veteran Trek author David Mack).
Here's what I know going in:
- Vanguard is set at the same time as the original series.
- On a space station. On the "frontier." Which sounds familiar.
- Kirk, et al. appear, but it's not about them.
- It's been described as Star Trek done HBO-style. (Which sounds awesome. If there are shades of Deadwood here I may die.)
- There's a lesbian Vulcan.